These days, beauty is a part of your branding. From your logo and web design to how you choose to show up in your headshot and YOU TUBE videos. Over the years as a Multimedia Makeup Artist, I have learned some secrets that can help you look and feel your best, so you can reveal your brand with beauty, confidence and charisma. It’s no secret that everywhere we show up, our brand shows ups. No matter what the medium is, print, radio or video, let your beauty shine from the inside out.
Here are a few of my secrets that will have you looking red carpet ready all day long!
- Hydrate, hydrate!! I cannot say this enough. Hydration is the FIRST key to beautiful makeup. I like to use a hydrating spray like 10 Years Younger by Motives Cosmetics followed by a moisturizer. If you have oily skin, you still need to moisturize AND please don’t use soap on your skin.
- Use a primer. Many women think primer is a moisturizer when in fact, it is typically a silica based cream or gel that smoothes the skin, minimizes redness and helps your makeup last. It does not clog the pores in any way so your skin can still breathe. Apply primer after your moisture to create the perfect palette.
- Use a sheer-pressed or blot powder down the T-Zone to minimize the shine. Avoid using heavy powders that are actually powder foundations. Watch out for powders, especially mineralized powders containing MICA especially in flash photography as the mica will reflect light and make you appear to have what we call as artists, “floating head”, where your face is lighter than the rest of your body, you’ve see it. LOL
- Use a lipstick with minimal shine so your lips don’t become the focus of the picture or video. Again, the shine is light reflective and can be distracting. I also recommend using a lipstick with color, not a nude because the lights will wash the color out. Personally, I love wearing a red or hot pink lip! Fun!
- If you are over 35…stay away from the SUPER MATTE look. This is one of the biggest mistakes I see women make. They still want to wear the foundation they wore back in the day and now its not working and no one is going to tell them. That sales lady just wants you to keep buying and that’s it!
As you get older, it is important to keep movement and light in your skin to give it the appearance of vibrancy. I recommend cream or liquid foundations with a light pressed powder like mentioned above.
So if you are using your daughter’s full-coverage powder foundation from MAC, STOP! Liquid is simple to apply, your hands do the exact same movement.
BONUS TIP: Apply your makeup more generously for photos and video since the lights mute out all coloring. Recently, I was recording a video and realized I was not putting on enough blush for shooting my videos indoors. Understanding your lighting is key.
Doing your makeup is not as difficult as it sounds. It’s truly about taking the time to get to know YOUR unique face and how to apply the makeup in a way that compliments the masterpiece you are.